Recently while I was in Florida I was fortunate enough to be invited by a friend, Mark Johnson, to view the Vision House at Disney. The project was done by VISION House® in INNOVENTIONS at Epcot® presented by Green Builder® Media and various suppliers to show how a green home could be built.
The project highlights some wonderful features that could be incorporated into homes such as windows that are super efficient with 3 panes of glass and internal blinds that are controlled by a whole house controller. There are also very efficient appliances that help save water and electrical usage. The home also is insulated to provide for a comfortable living situation whether it is hot or cold while using less energy to do so. Have a look at the short movie that I put together so that you could see the interior.
The entire home is built at the INNOVENTIONS center at Disney Epcot that highlights a great many wonderful ideas and concepts.
As you may have observed it is a model of a real home and not actually a full scale home. However one of the features due to larger volume of lighting used is a lack of heat. This is because the lighting used comes from very efficient lights throughout the set as well as the overhead lights. Disney actually found that by using these bulbs their cooling costs had dropped as another added benefit. Efficient lighting won’t lower an individual’s cooling costs but they will help in lowering your energy cost.
Throughout the home features such as appliances that use less water or electricity more efficiently are shown and highlighted. By looking at all the available options that are now possible consumers can make choices that will help themselves and everyone else. This model is a collaboration of new ideas and concepts from various people as I’ve shown below.
“Green Builder Media announced the addition of new product categories to the VISION House in INNOVENTIONS experience, including:
- Energy efficient windows and doors from Pella
- Hardwood flooring and cabinets from Armstrong World Industries (NYSE: AWI)
- Solar PV Modules from Hanwha Solar (NASDAQ: HSOL)
Inspired by Green Builder Media’s VISION House demonstration series, the interactive exhibit will highlight the major themes of whole-home automation, energy efficiency, onsite renewable power, water conservation, indoor environment quality, security, integrated multi-generational design, and durability.
As guests tour the home, they will be educated on intelligent products and advanced technologies, such as:
- Electronic vehicle charging station by SIEMENS (NYSE: SI)
- Chevy Volt electric vehicle by GM (NYSE: GM)
- High efficiency heating and cooling systems and controls by Trane and innovative whole-home automation system and door hardware by Schlage, both brands of Ingersoll Rand (NYSE: IR)
- Durable and environmentally friendly exterior systems, including smog-eating tile roofs, cultured stone, bricks, permeable pavers, and trim by Boral
- Ventilation solutions to improve indoor air quality by Panasonic (NYSE: PC)
- Water-conserving fixtures, faucets, showerheads, and home standby generators by KOHLER
- ENERGY STAR certified home appliances by Bosch
- LED lighting solutions by SYLVANIA”
Yet even if you aren’t in a position to build a totally new home there are things that you can also do to be more efficient in your own home.
Things you could consider in your own home:
- Replace your old incandescent light bulbs with new efficient bulbs.
- Replace an older water heater with a newer more efficient model. You will see a difference quickly.
- If an appliance is in need of an upgrade- purchase a new model that is rated as an energy star product.
- In any of your remodeling projects, try to think in terms of the long run benefits versus the short term costs.
- Educate yourself as to what products will be potentially beneficial to you, your family and everyone else before making a purchase.
- There are many things that we all can do and every change makes a difference.
For another look at VISION House stop by:Add to Flipboard Magazine.